Greater Shelby County Chamber of Commerce 2014 Annual Report
(Click here to open the GSCC Annual Report 2014 in a PDF format.)
To assist in building a strong economy by nurturing business, addressing business needs and developing a business environment that is attractive and stable.
COMMUNITY & WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
- Published twelve “Health Focus of the Month” articles promoting benefits of healthy choices and lifestyles for Chamber’s monthly newsletter Business Connections.
Held “Student and Educator of the Year” program with 53 total nominees and 255+ attendees. (April 29)
- Held “Healthcare Reform Workshop”. (May 15)
- Collaborated with Shelby County Economic & Industrial Development Authority on “Workforce Development Summit” event with 24 attendees. (June 24)
- Coordinated “Keeping It Real” programs for 2,376 9th Grade students at:
Thompson High School (January 16 & 17)
Shelby County High School (February 20 & 21)
Chelsea High School (March 13 & 14)
Kingwood Christian School (April 24 and September 26)
Oak Mountain High School (April 9 & 10 and October 8 & 9)
Cornerstone Christian School (September 4)
Calera High School (November 20 & 21)
Montevallo High School (December 10 & 11)
- Held “25th Annual Golf FORE! Education Tournament” with 135 participants. (September 9)
- Established collaborative partnership agreement with Calera Chamber of Commerce. (October 20)
- Held “Annual Safety Awards Luncheon” recognizing 13 recipients from public safety departments throughout Shelby County with 190+ attendees. (October 29)
- Co-hosted “American Legacy Tour” concert event in partnership with Horizons
- Financial Insurance Group with 160+ attendees and raised funds for the Chamber’s Community/Education Foundation. (November 8)
- Held “17th Annual Prayer Breakfast” with 130+ attendees. (November 25)
- Exploring potential program ideas for 11th grade students throughout Shelby County to be launched in 2015-16 school year.
- Planning for “Healthy Lifestyles Expo” scheduled to be held February 2015.
- Planning for “2015 Career Awareness Fair” for 10th Grade students throughout Shelby County set for April 23-24, 2015.
- Held Montgomery Legislative Preview Meeting with Shelby County State Legislative Delegation. (January 8)
- Held “State of the County” presentation featuring Shelby County Manager Alex Dudchock with 170+ attendees. (February 26)
- Held “Montgomery Drive-In” with 20 attendees. (March 19)
- Coordinated four “Shelby County Mayors’ Roundtable” meetings.
- Coordinated Candidates’ Forums for four primary elections:
U.S. Congressional District 6 (May 8)
State Senate District 11 (May 20)
Shelby County Sheriff (May 21)
State House District 43 (May 22)
- Collaborated on U.S. Congressional District 6 Candidates’ Run-Off Forum. (June 24)
- Reviewed and updated Chamber’s Public Policy Agenda for 2015.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT & SUPPORT
- Held 2nd “Annual Industry Appreciation” Event with 75+ attendees. (February 6)
- Received 35 Small Business of the Year nominations in preparation for “2014
Small Business Celebration” program. (June 2014)
- Held Small Business Awards Nominees’ reception with 70+ attendees. (June 23)
- Hosted June “Small Business Awards Luncheon” with 188 attendees and recognized recipients of “Small Business of the Year” in four categories. (June 25)
- Launched “Entrepreneur in Residence” mentoring program with Michael Smith of The GREAT, The GOOD and The GONE and hosted six monthly sessions which provided confidential, one-on-one counseling for 15 entrepreneurs and small business owners. (June – November 2014)
- Launched “Entrepreneur Roundtable I”. (July 15)
- Held 1st “Industry Block Party” with 70+ attendees. (October 16)
- Created and launched 2015 Business Climate Survey. (November 2014)
- Held Formation Meeting for “Entrepreneur Roundtable II”. (December 2)
- Held nine small business seminars:
What’s Your Strategy with Social Media (April 3)
Red Carpet Customer Service (June 5)
How to Strategically Drive Marketing & Sales (June 10)
Strategies for Building Great Teams (July 15)
Balancing Your Role as Manager & Key Producer (August 12)
Managing Your Staff To Greatness (September 2)
Managing The Money (October 7)
Keys to Sales Prospecting (November 11)
Leadership Secrets of Santa (December 10)
- Approved four Shelby County businesses for the Chamber’s “Green Business Designation”:
Event Operations Group, Inc.
The UPS Store Caldwell Mill Road
Hampton Inn & Suites 280 at Eagle Point
Buck Creek Stained Glass
- Held four “Industry Tour” programs at:
AGC Automotive (March 27)
Mspark (June 24)
American Village (September 30)
Stone Hollow Farmstead (November 4)
- Sent 275 requests for meetings to express appreciation for their decision to locate their business in Shelby County and discuss any challenges and opportunities they might be experiencing.
- Conducted 78 on-site visits with Shelby County businesses.
- Printed and distributed 100+ copies of “How to Develop a Business Plan” and “Small Business Guide” publications.
- Responded to 1,864 requests for business & community information.
- Notarized 505 “Certificates of Origin” for Shelby County companies.
MEMBERSHIP & MARKETING
- Recruited 149 New members.
- Held 39 Ribbon Cuttings for Shelby County businesses.
- Held 33rd Annual Meeting with 211 attendees. (February 24)
- Held ten “Membership Luncheons” with programs relating back to ShelbyOne initiatives with an average of 170+ attendees.
- Held two “SpeedNetworking For Professionals” events with an average of 237 attendees per event:
“SpeedNetworking Times Five Chambers” with Hoover Area, Homewood, Mountain Brook and Vestavia Hills chambers. (July 22)
“SpeedNetworking Times Four Chambers” with Calera, Montevallo and South Shelby County chambers. (October 8)
- Held the “5th Annual Sporting Clay Shoot” with 60 participants. (November 6)
- Held four “Business After Hours” events with an average of 50+ attendees per event.
- Held four “Membership Receptions” with an average of 40+ attendees per event.
- Held four “CoffeeNet” events with an average of 30+ attendees per event.
- Held two “Network280” events with an average of 40+ attendees per event.
- Coordinated 12 Ambassador meetings and 149 visits to chamber members and prospects.
- Developed 2015 Business Plan relating back to ShelbyOne five-year Strategic Plan.
- Created twelve issues of Business Connections, the Chamber’s monthly newsletter, which runs in Shelby Living magazine.
Produced weekly “E-Business Connections” e-mail updates to membership on programs and activities.
- Promoted Chamber members as well as Chamber and Community events through
- Social Media outlets (Facebook, Linked-In, Twitter, etc.).
- Secured six new member testimonials bringing total to eleven for use in advertising and marketing on the benefits of membership.
- Published and distributed the “Who’s Who of Shelby County Businesses”, the Chamber’s quarterly printed Membership Directory in Shelby Living magazine.
- Launched new Chamber website design reflecting expanded program of work.
- Updated Chamber’s website (content and registration with all major search engines).
- Produced monthly updates to ShelbyOne shareholders.
- Produced press advisories and news releases on Chamber programs and events and distributed to local media.
- Increased media contact relationships.