2016 BUSINESS PLAN
(Approved by Executive Committee 11/18/15)
(Approved by Board of Directors 12/16/15)
To assist in building a strong economy by nurturing business, addressing business needs and developing a business environment that is attractive and stable.
Business Development & Support Group
- Visit a minimum of 75 Shelby County businesses through Existing Business Team effort.
- Hold quarterly industrial tours of area companies (small business and industry).
- Host 4rd Annual “Industry Appreciation Reception” event in February.
- Hold 3rd Annual “Industry Block Party” program during Manufacturing Month in October.
- Develop a “Manufacturer’s Roundtable” program in collaboration with Alabama Technology Network.
- Maintain and grow the “Green Business” program.
- Host a “Recycling Day” during the month of April.
- Maintain and grow the monthly mentorship sessions through the Chamber’s Business Support Center.
- Hold ten “Go & Grow Workshops” on topics of interest to small businesses and industry.
- Collaborate on other informational seminar opportunities that develop through our partnerships.
- Distribute revised one-page “Business Outlook Survey” to gauge what Shelby County businesses think the climate will look like for the coming year.
- Host inaugural “Business Outlook Conference” in collaboration with University of Montevallo.
- Host annual “Small Business Celebration” during the month of May.
- Increase participation in Entrepreneur Roundtable I group.
- Explore creating a second Entrepreneur Roundtable group.
- Develop, print and distribute a Small Business Guide
- Distribute a How To Develop A Business Plan
- Increase participation in “Green Business” recognition program for Shelby County businesses.
Communications & Marketing Group
- Create and edit twelve issues of Business Connections, the Chamber’s monthly newsletter.
- Produce weekly “E-Business Connections” e-mail updates to investors on programs and activities.
- Promote Chamber investors as well as Chamber and Community events through Social Media (Facebook, Linked-In, Twitter, etc.).
- Publish and distribute the Who’s Who of Shelby County, a quarterly printed Investor Directory in Shelby Living
- Continue developing and promoting the usefulness of the Chamber website by reflecting the expanded program of work.
- Update Chamber’s website (content and registration with all major search engines).
- Communicate monthly with ShelbyOne shareholders to keep them informed on our progress.
- Produce press advisories and news releases on Chamber programs and events and distribute to local media.
- Increase media contact relationships.
Community & Workforce Development Group
- Hold “Keeping It Real” programs for 9th Grade students throughout Shelby County schools.
- Hold 2nd Annual “Career Awareness Fair” for 10th grade students throughout Shelby County schools in May.
- Launch a pilot “Soft Skills” workforce development program for 11th Grade students throughout Shelby County.
- Host 3rd Annual “Student and Educator of the Year Luncheon” program recognizing excellence in the classroom and providing scholarships and stipends for four recipients.
- Lead efforts to secure “Career Ready Community” designation for Shelby County.
- Investigate developing a “career readiness” workbook for students throughout Shelby County.
- Collaborate with Shelby County safety departments on programs that reduce criminal activity relating to businesses (i.e. financial crime, ID theft, theft by employees, fraud by mail and telephone, embezzlement by technology, counterfeit bills, etc.).
- Hold Annual “Public Safety Awards” Luncheon recognizing public safety departments throughout Shelby County.
- Promote importance of health awareness (healthy lifestyles) to the business community by publishing a “Health Focus of the Month” in Business Connections, the Chamber’s monthly newsletter.
- Host 2nd Annual Shelby County Healthy Lifestyles Expo for Shelby County businesses in February.
- Hold 2nd Annual “Healthcare Professionals of the Year” program in September.
- Partner with community leaders to develop and expand healthcare opportunities unique to Shelby County.
- Identify countywide resources and leadership with whom to collaborate on key issues regarding quality of life issues (education, healthcare, recreation, arts, beautification, retail, green space, etc.) that help make Shelby County an even better place to live and do business.
- Develop and coordinate informational seminars (Chamber Go & Grow) on healthcare topics of interest to small businesses and industry.
- Actively pursue collaborative efforts with all business (chambers of commerce, economic development organizations, etc.) and community organizations in Shelby County.
- Plan and implement the Chamber’s Annual “Golf Fore! Education” Tournament in the Fall.
- Collaborate with Shelby County on creation of a “Sports & Hospitality Council”.
- Plan and hold Annual “Prayer Breakfast” in November.
Finance & Administration Group
- Develop annual budget for Chamber’s operations.
- Manage Chamber’s daily operations.
- Maintain financial records for the Chamber’s General and Community Foundation funds.
- Handle invoicing procedures for all Chamber and Community Foundation programs.
- Plan and coordinate Annual Meeting of Investors.
- Coordinate Nominations process for Chamber leadership roles.
- Coordinate and manage partnership with other chambers: Calera Chamber of Commerce, Montevallo Chamber of Commerce and South Shelby Chamber of Commerce.
- Review Employee Policies & Procedures Handbook.
- Host ShelbyOne shareholder meetings.
- Review Event Analysis forms prior to each event or program.
Governmental Affairs Group
- Host “Washington Update” type programs with Alabama’s federal legislative delegation.
- Host a Legislative Preview event with Shelby County Legislative delegation prior to the 2016 Legislative session which begins in February.
- Maintain and update the Chamber’s “Public Policy Agenda” pertaining to issues impacting Shelby County businesses.
- Plan and implement the Chamber’s annual Montgomery Drive-In event.
- Determine, recommend and hold any “Candidates’ Forum” events during the 2016 election year.
- Conduct and release “Economic Impact Study” pertaining to the potential impact of Sunday liquor sales in Shelby County.
- Hold Annual “State of the County” Luncheon in October.
- Host quarterly “Mayors’ Roundtable” meetings for Shelby County mayors.
- Maintain positive working relationship with local state delegation and other community stakeholders.
Investor Development Group
- Recruit 120 new investors.
- Coordinate 2nd “Total Resource Campaign” effort in the Fall.
- Plan and host ten “Community Luncheon” programs.
- Coordinate ribbon cuttings and ground-breakings for area businesses.
- Coordinate Ambassadors’ program.
- Continue developing and promoting “Hot Deals” discount program.
- Host quarterly “Investor Receptions” for new and existing investors.
- Plan and hold 8th Annual Clay Shoot Event in Fall.
- Update and maintain accurate records in investor database.
- Coordinate on-going investor retention program.
- Hold quarterly “Business After Hours” networking programs.
- Hold two “Speed Networking” events in partnership with other chambers of commerce.
- Hold six “CoffeeNet” networking programs.
- Hold two Network280 (networking and/ or professional development) programs.
- Explore new/ additional business networking opportunities for Chamber investors.
- Investigate additional investor-only benefits.
- Continue to research on-going potential of a tiered investor level program.
Follow this link to open a printable PDF of the GSCC 2016 Business Plan.