GREATER SHELBY COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE 2013 ANNUAL REPORT
To assist in building a strong economy by nurturing business, addressing business needs and developing a business environment that is attractive and stable.
Business Development & Support Group
- Established Small Business Work Group that met monthly to assist with program development.
- Hosted inaugural “Industry Appreciation Reception” in collaboration with The Shelby County Economic and Development Authority with 40 businesses in attendance.
- Held six “Go & Grow” professional development series workshops:
- Business Basics for Great Managers; Sell Yourself, Your Ideas, Your Agenda; Finding and Keeping Great; Talent Becoming a Strategic Thinker; Coaching Your Team to Greatness; Dealing with the Difficult.
- Established Existing Business & Industry Work Group that met monthly to assist with program development.
- Held four “Industry Tours” at: Bud’s Best Cookies, A.C. Legg, Inc., Morgan Creek Vineyards, Alabama Power Plant, Wilsonville.
- Held first annual Small Business Week that included:
Small Business Nominee’s Reception,
Small Business Persons of the Year Luncheon,
“Capital Access” Seminar.
- Hosted “Making Sense of Social Media” seminar, a program of the Chamber’s Business Support Center with 26 participants.
- Developed, printed and distributed “How to Develop a Business Plan” as part of the Chamber’s Business Support Center.
- Hosted an “Introduction to Government Contracting” workshop as part of the Chamber’s Business Support Center program.
- Established a Shelby County Existing Business Team program that conducted 26 on-site interviews with industry leaders for information and feedback from area businesses.
- Developed a “Green Business” program with fi ve member businesses achieving the designation of a green business.
- Notarized 470+ Certifi cate of Origins for Shelby County companies.
- Created twelve issues of Business Connections, the Chamber’s monthly newsletter. Created, published and distributed a quarterly printed membership directory, Who’s Who of Shelby County Businesses.
- Communicated monthly with ShelbyOne shareholders to keep them informed on ShelbyOne progress.
- Hosted two ShelbyOne shareholder meetings.
- Informed the membership and the community of Chamber activities through Business Connections monthly newsletter, weekly GSC E-Business Connections, and the Chamber’s social media sites (Facebook, Linkedin, and Twitter).
- Produced and distributed a new map of Shelby County with exclusive member-only advertising opportunities.
- Developed 2014 Business Plan relating back to ShelbyOne strategic plan.
- Responded to 1,700+ requests for business and community information.
Community Development Group
- Established Health Services Work Group that met monthly to assist with program development.
- Promoted the importance of healthy lifestyles to the business community through the “Health Focus of the Month” articles published in Business Connections.
- Coordinated and held “Healthcare Reform” workshop with 27 in attendance.
- Established Education Work Group that met monthly to assist with program development.
- Created a database of Shelby County public and private school principals that were contacted to coordinate dates for “Keeping it Real” launch.
- Created all materials associated with the “Keeping it Real” program including PowerPoint, worksheets and real-life scenario work boards.
- Launched the “Keeping it Real” program in five Shelby County schools with 984 ninth grade students participating in the program.
- Coordinated appropriate number of volunteers to manage the “Keeping It Real” program in each Shelby County School.
- Created process for a Student and Educator of the Year recognition program to be held in 2014.
- Hosted the April and September Membership Programs securing the keynote speakers and Showcase Feature business participants.
- Planned and implemented The Shelby County Chamber’s 24th Annual Golf FORE! Workforce Development Tournament.
- Planned and implemented The Shelby County Chamber’s 4th Annual Sporting Clay Shoot.
Finance & Administration Group
- Developed annual budget for Chamber’s operations.
- Maintained financial records for the Chamber’s General and Foundation funds.
- Handled invoicing procedures for all Chamber and Foundation programs.
- Reviewed Chamber By-Laws.
- Reviewed Employee Policies & Procedures Handbook.
- Planned and coordinated Annual Meeting of the membership.
- Reviewed all Event Analysis forms prior and post each event or program.
Governmental Affairs Group
- Established Governmental Affairs Work Group that met monthly to assist with program development.
- Held Montgomery Drive-In event with 18 attendees.
- Held a State of the County Luncheon featuring Shelby County Commission Chair Lindsey Allison.
- Established a process for a Chamber Public Policy Agenda.
- Created Public Policy Agenda for 2014.
- Held Washington Update Luncheon with Congressman Spencer Bachus.
Membership & Marketing Group
- Recruited 149 new members.
- Held 41 ribbon cuttings for Shelby County businesses.
- Planned and hosted 10 membership luncheon programs with an average of 185 attendees.
- Held two SpeedNetworking for Professionals events resulting in an average of 95 attendees.
- SpeedNetworking Times Five Chambers: with the Hoover Area, Homewood, Mountain Brook and Vestavia Hills Chambers of Commerce.
- SpeedNetworking Times Four Chambers: with the Calera, Montevallo and South Shelby County Chambers of Commerce.
- Held four Business After Hours events with an average of 40+ attendees per event.
- Held four Membership Receptions with an average of 40+ attendees per event.
- Ambassador Program meetings.
- Redesigned new member packets using green-friendly folders and enhanced all marketing materials.
- Acquired member testimonials for use in marketing and advertising in potential member packets, Business Connections, and other marketing publications.
- Expanded promotional opportunities for member-only advertising utilizing ChamberMail program reaching 2,000 new Shelby County residents.
The Shelby County Chamber 2013 Business Plan, which was approved by Chamber’s Board of Directors 11/14/12, relates back to ShelbyOne, the Chamber’s five-year strategic plan, on an one year basis. View the 2013 Business Plan in a PDF format by clicking this link.