GREATER SHELBY COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE 2015 ANNUAL REPORT
(Click here to open the GSCC 2015 Annual Report in a PDF format.)
To assist in building a strong economy by nurturing business, addressing business needs and developing a business environment that is attractive and stable.
COMMUNITY & WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
- Published twelve “Health Focus of the Month” articles promoting benefits of healthy choices and lifestyles for Chamber’s monthly newsletter Business Connections.
- Held inaugural Healthy Lifestyles Expo with 14 vendors and 60+ attendees. (February 5) Alabaster
- Held Inaugural Healthcare Professional of the Year luncheon recognizing 12 recipients with 175+ attendees. (August 26) Pelham
- Held “Student and Educator of the Year” program with 59 total nominees and 270+ attendees. (April 29) Pelham
- Held "State of Shelby County Schools" program with 170+ attendees. (July 29) Pelham
- Coordinated “Keeping It Real” programs for 2,565 9th Grade students at: Thompson High School Alabaster (January 14 & 15) 592 students Vincent High School (January 29 & 30) 89 students Helena High School (February 11 & 12) 338 students Shelby County High School Columbiana (February 26 & 27) 207 students Chelsea High School (March 11 & 12) 245 students Pelham High School (March 16 & 17) 260 students Cornerstone Christian School Columbiana (September 3) 20 students Kingwood Christian School Alabaster (September 9) 30 students Oak Mountain High School Birmingham (October 15 & 16) 487 students Calera High School (October 22 &23) 194 students Montevallo High School (December 9 &10) 103 students
- Held Inaugural Career Awareness Fair with 2,000+ 10th grade students participating throughout Shelby County. (April 23 & 24) Columbiana
- Developing "Soft Skills" program for 11th grade students throughout Shelby County to be launched in 2016 school year.
- Held “26th Annual Golf FORE! Education Tournament” with 100+ participants. (September 17) 280
- Strengthened collaborative partnership agreement with Calera Chamber of Commerce. (2015)
- Established collaborative partnership agreement with Montevallo Chamber of Commerce (July 30)
- Established collaborative partnership agreement with South Shelby Chamber of Commerce (December 8)
- Held “Annual Safety Awards Luncheon” recognizing 15 recipients from public safety departments throughout Shelby County with 205+ attendees. (September 30) Pelham
- Held “18th Annual Prayer Breakfast” with 120 attendees. (November 24) Pelham
- Coordinated “Annual Liberty Day Parade” event collaboration with the City of Columbiana with 40+ organizations participating. (June 27)
- Held 2015 State Legislative Preview Meeting with Shelby County State Legislative Delegation with 60+ attendees (February 16) (280 Corridor)
- Held "Eggs & Issues" event featuring a Washington Update from U. S. Representative Gary Palmer with 100+ attendees. (March 31) (280 Corridor)
- Held “Montgomery Drive-In” with 25 attendees. (April 14) Montgomery
- Held "Eggs & Issues" event featuring a Washington Update from U. S. Senator Jeff Sessions with 75+ attendees. (August 11) (Pelham)
- Held “State of the County” presentation featuring Shelby County Manager Alex Dudchock with 190+ attendees. (October 28) (Pelham)
- Coordinated four “Shelby County Mayors’ Roundtable” meetings: - 1st Quarter Meeting hosted by Indian Springs’ Mayor Brenda Bell-Guercio (February 11) - 2nd Quarter Meeting hosted by Helena Mayor Mark Hall (May 27) - 3rd Quarter Meeting hosted by Westover Mayor Mark McLaughlin (September 29) - 4th Quarter Meeting hosted by Alabaster Mayor Marty Handlon (December 15)
- Reviewed and updated Chamber’s Public Policy Agenda for 2016.
- Approved decision to conduct and Economic Impact Study for Sunday Liquor Sales in Shelby County.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT & SUPPORT
- Held 3rd “Annual Industry Appreciation” Event with 100+ attendees. (February 19) 280
- Received 46 Small Business of the Year nominations in preparation for the "Small Business Awards Celebration" event.
- Held “Small Business Celebration” Luncheon recognizing 33 finalists & 4 award recipients in four categories with 170+ attendees. (May 20) Pelham
- Held Small Business Awards Nominees’ reception with 95+ attendees. (May 18) Calera
- Launched 2015 Business Climate Survey through partnership with University of Montevallo. (November 2015)
- Increased participation of Entrepreneur Roundtable I.
- Held 2nd Annual “Industry Block Party” with 80+ attendees. (October 8) Pelham
- Held nine small business seminars: Building Networks That Work For You (January 13) Pelham Using Media to Grow Your Business (February 10) Pelham Creating Messages That Work (March 10) Pelham How to Drive Recognition to Results (April 21) Pelham Fueling the Urgency to Act in Others (May 12) Pelham Sales Management Success (August 11) Pelham Being the Boss (September 8) Pelham Making Time to be Great (October 13) Pelham Building Success (November 10) Pelham Leadership Secrets of Santa (December 4) 280
- Hosted six monthly sessions of the “Entrepreneur in Residence” mentoring program with Michael Smith of The GREAT, The GOOD and The GONE which provided confidential, one-on-one counseling for 14 entrepreneurs and small business owners. (January – December 2015)
- Approved four Shelby County businesses for the Chamber’s “Green Business Designation”: Alabama Power Company Warren Averett, LLC Barge, Waggoner Sumner & Cannon, Inc. iBERIABANK
- Held four quarterly “Industry Tours” programs at: GREDE (April 15) Columbiana Hibbett Distribution Center (June 4) Alabaster Alabama Power Technical Application Center (August 20) Calera Summer Classics (October 8) Pelham
- Sent 275 requests for meetings to express appreciation for their decision to locate their business in Shelby County and discuss any challenges and opportunities they might be experiencing.
- Conducted 77 on-site visits with Shelby County businesses.
- Distributed copies of “How to Develop a Business Plan” and “Small Business Guide” publications.
- Responded to 1,587 requests for business & community information.
- Notarized 494 “Certificates of Origin” for Shelby County companies.
MEMBERSHIP & MARKETING
- Recruited 178 new members.
- Held 44 Ribbon Cuttings for Shelby County businesses.
- Held 34th Annual Meeting with 191 attendees. (January 28) Pelham
- Held ten “Membership Luncheons” with programs relating back to ShelbyOne initiatives with an average of 185+ attendees. Pelham
- Held two “SpeedNetworking” events with an average of 200 attendees per event: “SpeedNetworking Times Four Chambers” - Calera, Greater Shelby, Montevallo & South Shelby chambers. (March 19) Calera “SpeedNetworking Times Nine Chambers” - Calera, Greater Shelby, Homewood, Hoover, Irondale, Montevallo, Mountain Brook, Trussville & Vestavia Hills chambers. (November 4) Hoover
- Held the “6th Annual Sporting Clay Shoot” with 35 participants. (November 12) Alpine
- Held five “Business After Hours” events with an average of 40+ attendees per event. (April-Columbiana; May-Greystone; July-Pelham; September-Alabaster; December-Calera)
- Held four “Membership Receptions” with an average of 40+ attendees per event. (January, April, July, November) Pelham
- Held seven “CoffeeNet” events with an average of 25+ attendees per event. (January-Hoover; February-Chelsea; April-Montevallo; June-Columbiana; July-Mt. Laurel; August-280; November-Pelham)
- Held one “NETWORK280” event 30+ attendees. 280
- Coordinated 12 Ambassador Work Group Meetings. Pelham
- Created twelve issues of Business Connections, the Chamber’s monthly newsletter, printed in Shelby Living magazine.
- Produced weekly “E-Business Connections” e-mail updates to membership on programs and activities.
- Produced 12 print ads: "How My Chamber Membership Works for Me" campaign.
- Produced 12 website leaderboard ads: "How My Chamber Membership Works for Me" campaign.
- Maintained rotating billboard ads January - February 2015.
- Promoted Chamber members as well as Chamber and Community events through Social Media outlets (Facebook, Linked-In, Twitter, Google+).
- Secured five new member testimonials bringing total to 16 for use in advertising & marketing on the benefits of membership.
- Published and distributed the “Who’s Who of Shelby County Businesses”, the Chamber’s quarterly printed Membership Directory in Shelby Living magazine.
- Improved Chamber website to mobile-friendly design to extend reach of expanded program of work.
- Improved SEO (Search Engine Optimization) with all major Internet search engines.
- Produced monthly updates to ShelbyOne shareholders.
- Produced press releases and media on Chamber programs and events and distributed to local media.
- Increased media contact relationships.