Shelby County Chamber 2016 Annual Report
(Click here to open the GSCC 2016 Annual Report in a PDF format.)
To assist in building a strong economy by nurturing business, addressing business needs and developing a business environment that is attractive and stable.
COMMUNITY & WORKFORCE DEVELOPMENT
- Published twelve “Health Focus of the Month” articles promoting benefits of healthy choices and lifestyles for Chamber’s monthly newsletter Business Connections.
- Held 2nd annual Healthy Lifestyles Expo with 12 vendors and 180+ attendees. (August 31) Alabaster
- Held 2nd annual Healthcare Professional of the Year luncheon recognizing 22 recipients with 200+ attendees. (August 31) Pelham [caption id="attachment_1759" align="alignright" width="70"] Printed by 280 Living[/caption]
- Held 3rd annual “Student and Educator of the Year” program with 60 total nominees and 280+ attendees. (April 27) Pelham
- Held "State of Shelby County Schools" program with 160+ attendees. (July 27) Pelham
- Coordinated “Keeping It Real” programs for 2,451 9th Grade students at: Shelby County High School Columbiana (January 13 & 14) 175 students Thompson High School Alabaster (January 28 & 29) 475 students Pelham High School (February 8 & 9) 271 students Vincent High School (February 25 & 26) 62 students Helena High School (March 2 & 3) 338 students Chelsea High School (March 17 & 18) 278 students Cornerstone Christian School Columbiana (October 6) 23 students Kingwood Christian School Alabaster (October 12) 32 students Calera High School (October 20 & 21) 287 students Oak Mountain High School (October 27 & 28) 393 students Montevallo High School (December 8 & 9) 117 students
- Held 2nd annual "Career Awareness Fair" with 2,000+ 10th grade students participating throughout Shelby County. (September 12 & 13) Columbiana
- Launched inaugural "Communication Matters" program for 11th grade students throughout Shelby County: total of 734 students. Cornerstone Christian School Columbiana (October 6) 20 students Kingwood Christian School Alabaster (October 12) 29 students Chelsea High School (November 3) 297 students Helena High School (November 29) 304 students Montevallo High School (November 1) 84 students
- Held “27th Annual Golf FORE! Education Tournament” with 92+ participants. (September 30) Calera
- Strengthened collaborative partnership agreement with Montevallo Chamber of Commerce (2016)
- Strengthened collaborative partnership agreement with South Shelby Chamber of Commerce (2016)
- Held “Annual Safety Awards Luncheon” recognizing 14 recipients from public safety departments throughout Shelby County with 205+ attendees. (September 27) Pelham
- Held “19th Annual Prayer Breakfast” with 120 attendees. (November 22) Pelham
- Coordinated “30th Annual Liberty Day Parade” event collaboration with the City of Columbiana with 40+ organizations participating. (June 25)
- Co-hosted "Education Connections" with Shelby County School System: Oak Mountain High School (September 2) Chelsea High School (September 7) Montevallo High School (September 20) Shelby County College & Career Center (September 27) Helena High School (October 7) Vincent High School (October 20) Calera High School (November 15) Shelby County High School Columbiana (November 16)
- Held 2016 State Legislative Preview Meeting with Shelby County State Legislative Delegation in collaboration with the Calera, Montevallo and South Shelby chambers with 110+ attendees (January 20) (280)
- Conducted Economic Impact Study for Sunday Liquor Sales in Shelby County. (February 22)
- Held "Eggs & Issues" event featuring a Washington Update from U. S. Representative Gary Palmer with 100+ attendees. (February 18) (Chelsea)
- Coordinated four “Shelby County Mayors’ Roundtable” meetings: - 1st Quarter Meeting hosted by Chelsea Mayor Earl Niven with 11 mayors in attendance. (April 20) - 2nd Quarter Meeting hosted by Helena Mayor Mark Hall with 10 Mayors in attendance. (June 29) - 3rd Quarter Meeting hosted by Pelham Mayor Gary Waters with 9 mayors in attendance. (August 16) - 4th Quarter Meeting hosted by Calera Mayor Jon Graham with 12 mayors in attendance. (November 30)
- Reviewed and updated Chamber’s Public Policy Agenda for 2017.
- Held “State of the County” presentation featuring Shelby County Manager Alex Dudchock with 190+ attendees. (October 28) (Pelham)
- Co-hosted Candidates Forums for City Council and Mayoral races with Shelby County Newspapers in the following municipalities: - Alabaster on with 80+ attendees. (August 15) - Pelham on with 100+ attendees. (August 16) - Montevallo on August 17 with 120+ attendees in collaboration with Montevallo Chamber. (August 17)
- Co-hosted a Candidates Forum for the City of Chelsea’s Mayoral Run-Off Election with Chelsea Business Alliance, South Shelby County Chamber and Shelby County Newspapers at Chelsea High School with 80+ attendees. (September 29)
- Collaborated with Chelsea Business Alliance and South Shelby chambers in co-hosting the “Coffee & Conversation” event with State Senator Slade Blackwell in Chelsea with 30+ attendees. (October 6)
- Co-hosted Congressman Gary Palmer’s “Town Hall Meeting” with City of Pelham at Pelham High School with 100+ attendees. (October 24)
- Held “State of the County” presentation featuring Shelby County Manager Alex Dudchock with 190+ attendees. (October 26) (Pelham)
- Advocated a "YES" vote on Amendment two statewide initatives (Amendment 2 and Amendment 14) which appeared on the November 8th ballot.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT & SUPPORT
- Received one of seven Accredited Chamber of Commerce designations from Chamber of Commerce Association of Alabama. Effective from 2016-19 (August 5).
- Held 4th annual "Industry Appreciation” Event with 70+ attendees. (February 18) 280
- Received 44 Small Business of the Year nominations in preparation for the "Small Business Awards Celebration" event.
- Held “Salute to Small Business Celebration” Luncheon recognizing 44 finalists & 5 award recipients in four categories with 240+ attendees. (May 25) Pelham
- Held Small Business Awards Nominees’ reception with 95+ attendees. (May 23) Helena
- Held 2016 "Business Outlook Conference" featuring a panel presentation from various business sectors and released 2016 Business Outlook Survey results featuring Dr. Stephen Craft, Dean of the Stephens College of Business, University of Montevallo. Conducted 2nd annual Business Climate Survey through partnership with University of Montevallo. (November/ December 2016)
- Collected 182 total responses for 2016 Business Outlook Survey. (January)
- Increased participation of Entrepreneur Roundtable I.
- Launched Entrepreneur Roundtable 280.
- Held 3rd annual “Industry Block Party” with 50+ attendees. (October 27) Alabaster
- Held nine "Go & Grow Workshops" with an average attendance of 15: I Can’t Hear You (February 2) Pelham How to Turn Activity into Revenue (March 1) Pelham A Discussion with Dreamland BBQ’s CEO Betsy Underwood McAtee (April 5) Pelham Presentation Prowess (May 3) Pelham Turning Networking Events into Appointments (June 7) Pelham Pre-Season Practice Drills (August 2) Pelham Story Telling and Relationship Marketing (September 8) Pelham Making Time to be Great (October 4) Pelham Finish Hard and Start Fast (November 1) Pelham
- Held "Communicating for SUCCESS" seminar with 35+ attendees. (July 19) Pelham
- Hosted six monthly sessions of the “Entrepreneur in Residence” mentoring program with Michael Smith of The GREAT, The GOOD and The GONE which provided confidential, one-on-one counseling for 14 entrepreneurs and small business owners. (January – December 2016)
- Approved five Shelby County businesses for the Chamber’s “Green Business Designation”: Inverness Country Club Hoover Wilson Computer Support Alabaster State Farm Insurance, Brittani Morris Agency Alabaster FocalPoint Coaching Helena The Gingerbread Lady, LLC Hoover
- Held four quarterly “Industry Tours” programs averaging 93 attendees at: Ovation Media, Inc. (February 23) Helena Shelby County Landfill (April 14) Calera National Carbon Capture Center (June 29) Wilsonville Thompson Tractor (October 27) Alabaster
- Held inaugural "Ready to Shred" Recycling Day (April 22) Pelham 70+/- participants; 4,001 lbs. of paper; 939 lbs. of e-waste
- Sent 132 requests for meetings to express appreciation for their decision to locate their business in Shelby County and discuss any challenges and opportunities they might be experiencing.
- Conducted 25 on-site visits with Shelby County businesses.
- Distributed copies of “How to Develop a Business Plan” and “Small Business Guide” publications.
- Responded to 1,140 requests for business & community information.
- Notarized 847 “Certificates of Origin” for Shelby County companies.
- Recruited 107 new investors.
- Held 42 Ribbon Cuttings for Shelby County businesses.
- Held 35th Annual Meeting with 235 attendees. (February 4) Pelham
- Held ten “Community Luncheons” with programs relating back to ShelbyOne initiatives with an average of 192+ attendees. Pelham
- “SpeedNetworking Times Nine Chambers” - Calera, Greater Shelby, Homewood, Hoover, Irondale, Montevallo, Mountain Brook, Trussville & Vestavia Hills chambers. (July 14) Hoover
- Held the “7th Annual Sporting Clay Shoot” with 37 participants. (November 15) Alpine
- Held four “Business After Hours” events with an average of 38+ attendees per event. (April-Columbiana; May-Greystone; July-Pelham; September-Alabaster; December-Calera)
- Held four “Investor Receptions” with an average of 25+ attendees per event. (January, April, July, October) Pelham
- Held five “CoffeeNet” events with an average of 25+ attendees per event. (March-Pelham; June-Montevallo; August-Chelsea; October-Alabaster; November-Pelham)
- Held three “NETWORK280” event 43+ attendees. 280
- Coordinated 12 Ambassador Work Group Meetings. Pelham
- Created twelve issues of Business Connections, the Chamber’s monthly newsletter, printed in Shelby Living magazine.
- Produced weekly “E-Business Connections” e-mail updates to membership on programs and activities.
- Produced 12 print ads: "How My Chamber Investment Works for Me" campaign.
- Produced 12 website leader-board ads: "How My Chamber Investment Works for Me" campaign.
- Maintained rotating billboard ads January - December 2016.
- Promoted Chamber investors as well as Chamber and Community events through Social Media outlets (Facebook, Linked-In, Twitter & Instagram).
- Published and distributed the “Who’s Who of Shelby County Businesses”, the Chamber’s quarterly printed Investor Directory in Shelby Living magazine.
- Improved Chamber website to mobile-friendly design to extend reach of expanded program of work.
- Improved SEO (Search Engine Optimization) with all major Internet search engines.
- Produced bi-monthly updates to ShelbyOne shareholders.
- Produced press advisories and news releases on Chamber programs and events and distributed to local media.
- Increased media contact relationships.